Friday, January 6, 2012

Salsa con Carly

Friends, this Christmas I received three small kitchen appliances, and it made my heart merry. Very merry indeed.
Two of these presents were coffee makers. One is a little Keurig contraption, which I have dubbed R2-D2 and whom makes me delicious and fanciful drinks. The other is a Mr. Coffee, who shall forever be known as C-3PO. Threepio is programmable and makes me large quantities of coffee before I am even out of bed. They are delightful, and perfectly compliment each other in every way.
The third gadget, however, fills a serious deficit in my life as a kitchen user. His name is HK-47 and he is my food processor.
The boy and I were invited over to a friend's place last Friday for board games and whatnot, and I knew that it was the perfect excuse to play with the new toy. My ambitious goal for the future is to follow Sunday Dinners' example and make a fanciful hummus. However, I had time to either look up recipes and do my research, or go to the store and just buy things that looked good. I figure the latter works better when you have any idea what actually goes into something. So I made salsa instead!

Salsa con Carly:

1 large can whole, peeled tomatoes
2 cans original Rotel
1 can large ripe olives, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 pepper (I used an Anaheim pepper, and made sure to take all of the seeds out.)
1/2 large sweet onion
3-5 cloves of garlic
a generous squeeze of lime juice
1 Tbsp salt
20 turns on a peppercorn grinder (or pepper to taste)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ginger

Blend until awesome.

This recipe does make a huge batch, so it may work for you to dump half of the ingredients in a bowl and only have half in the food processor at a time. I had to go back and forth between two pitchers, but that's okay because HK-47 has three separate containers each with their own blades. He's awesome like that.
Be prepared for another recipe next week. You won't even need fancy tools for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment